Monday, February 2, 2009

The Road Trip


This past summer gas jumped to over $4/gallon. For me, road trips will always be a pleasure, but now they aren't quite as guilty as they were six months ago.

As a teen, I loved reading Stephen King, particularly his short story collections. One story jumped out as appealling: "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut". I used the tale as an inspiration when I lived in Bulloch County; any dirt road veering from the main byways would be explored and I would work to shave a minute or two from my commute whenever possible.

As an adult I came to appreciate the road trip. I prefer taking the less travelled road - veering off the intersate and prefering the highway when time permits. Think about it - I may never pass that way again, and there could be many treasures to find!

Throw guilt to the wind and snap in the seatbelt, away we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment